Whether you are a student athlete, a crossfit enthusiast, or just trying to get in better shape, you’re probably searching for simple ways to boost your performance. This is true if you’re training for an upcoming event, or you’re just getting started. Thankfully, the human body is incredibly responsive and resilient, and there are many things you can do to amp up your power, stamina, flexibility, and more.
When it comes to boosting athletic performance naturally, we must start with the basics like getting enough sleep, staying hydrated, and fueling with nutrient-dense foods. If you don’t already have these three things dialed in, start there. Once your sleep, nutrition, and hydration are locked down, here are a few more things to try:
- Meditate/practice mindfulness- try a short guided meditation each day, or spend time in quiet to reset your nervous system
- Get screen-free time- give your eyes and brain a rest, especially during the two hours before bed
- Switch up your workouts- try a different activity, do your exercises in reverse order, or otherwise mix things up to keep your body responding
- Prioritize rest and recovery- true gains don’t happen in the gym, they happen during the repair phase afterward
- Practice visualization- sports psychologists recommend visualizing positive outcomes for your athletic endeavors, as a type of mental rehearsal
- Know your health status- stay on top of physical exams and blood work, so you can address any deficiencies or health conditions you find
- Time your meals- make sure you’re not competing on a totally empty stomach or after eating a big meal
- Stay on top of inflammation- working out is a stress on your body, so be sure you’re doing things to lower your overall inflammation like cold showers, eating fewer processed foods, and/or taking supplements
- Don’t push through injury- take the appropriate time to recover from illness or injury, otherwise your long-term performance may suffer
When you want help reaching your athletic goals, you’ll need a great healthcare clinic you can count on. Come down to DuPage Immediate Care or schedule your appointment online!